DCM Genetic Mutation Identified by WSU in the USA

Unread postby Hande » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Finnish Dobermann Club will test about 180-200 dobermanns in the next coming 30 days. All tests will be made under control of vets, all dogs will be identified by microchip and all owners have undersigned a club document where they have approved that all results are public and will be published in our website.

Which club will be the next?
Hande
All You Need To Know About The Breed In Finland:
www.sdy.fi/jalostus
Hande
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Weinberge » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:16 am

Hande wrote:Finnish Dobermann Club will test about 180-200 dobermanns in the next coming 30 days. All tests will be made under control of vets, all dogs will be identified by microchip

:smt023
a true dobermann lovers club !

... all owners have undersigned a club document where they have approved that all results are public and will be published in our website.

The IDC winner titles , IPO and ZTP in preparations and ill bloodlines why are public advertised without any undersigned paper ?
The destruction of race maded by generations ussing inbreeding on ill studs, which continue and today, why are public without undersigned paper ? Waiting to them for prove that their bloodlines are healtly ?

Hande wrote:Which club will be the next?

Probable your club will be unique :lol:
Like on IDC ...... :wink: .
Last edited by Weinberge on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Amandine » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 am

Congrats to the Finnish Dobermann Club !! Hope the other clubs will follow
Amandine,
Pretty Kali de Rouge-Sang,
Smart Wood Hills Lady Leech,
http://www.templekali.fr.st
Amandine

Unread postby Amandine » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:52 am

Congrats to the Finnish Dobermann Club !! Hope the other clubs will follow
Amandine,
Pretty Kali de Rouge-Sang,
Smart Wood Hills Lady Leech,
http://www.templekali.fr.st
Amandine

Unread postby kansadobe » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:02 pm

I was at the Dr. Meurs talk live and these are some of the points that I found to be the most informative:

1. There does seem to be very good evidence that this mutation that Dr. Meurs has identified DOES have a link to DCM, not just a possible link as some have claimed. However, she concedes that this is just "A marker" for DCM and not "THE MARKER" for DCM. She cited two other studies of heart issues with Maine Coon cats and Boxers. I believe that she said that they have identified at leat 3 markers in Maine Coon cats and 2 markers so far in Boxers. So it is likely that there are more mutations than this one that cause DCM in Dobermans.

2. She is the first person that I have heard that conceded that it is likely that the arrhythmia problem and the congestive heart problem are two seperate diseases and not the same. I have suspected this and maybe it has been stated before and I just missed it. However, she mentioned what sounded like the large majority of the dogs in her study had congestive heart problems, so I would assume that it would be logical that the marker she discovered would likely be more linked to congestive heart problems than arrhythmias?

3. She also strongly implored us not to eliminate all positive dogs from the breeding pool. She said that even removing 10% of the total population from the beeding pool will have a noticeable affect on the look of the Doberman. I am not sure that I totally agree with this, but that was her comment. However, she did cite a genetic issue in a certain species (can't remember which one) where because of a genetic condition in this species, the breeders stopped breeding to any of the affected or carriers of this condition. The breeders successfully eliminated this condition from the gene pool (which had a DNA test), but then the occurrence of epilepsy and some other condition (which there was no DNA test for) became a lot more prominent. So, by drastically limiting the gene
pool, they eliminated one problem and created others that was not detectable by DNA testing. So, in the end they were worse off then they were before.
Doug & Jacque Matson
Kansa Dobermans
"Seeking the Best From Around the World"
www.kansadobe.com
kansadobe

Unread postby monty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:01 pm

kansadobe wrote:However, she did cite a genetic issue in a certain species (can't remember which one) where because of a genetic condition in this species, the breeders stopped breeding to any of the affected or carriers of this condition. The breeders successfully eliminated this condition from the gene pool (which had a DNA test), but then the occurrence of epilepsy and some other condition (which there was no DNA test for) became a lot more prominent. So, by drastically limiting the gene
pool, they eliminated one problem and created others that was not detectable by DNA testing. So, in the end they were worse off then they were before.

This website http://www.newcastleboxers.com/arvc.shtml

describes Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy (ARVC) in Boxers a similar condition to DCM in dobermanns.

This website also gives links to a similar situation in Miniature Schnauzers, where over-emphasizing one gene had a devastating on the breed's health, published in Canine Review magazine
monty

Unread postby Weinberge » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:28 pm

kansadobe wrote:she concedes that this is just "A marker" for DCM and not "THE MARKER" for DCM

Will be a big problem if exist and another undiscover marker. That will become visible only when declared clear dogs will be diagnosed with DCM.
The Best protection will be to avoid inbreeding from lines with hight DCM incidance.

kansadobe wrote: She also strongly implored us not to eliminate all positive dogs from the breeding pool. She said that even removing 10% of the total population from the beeding pool will have a noticeable affect on the look of the Doberman.

Is Pathetic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, by drastically limiting the gene
pool, they eliminated one problem and created others that was not detectable by DNA testing.

When Hundredts and Thausandths of longevive dobermanns was eliminated from race genepool by Big Breeders and Judges, somebody cry and sense compassion ?

Do you know the reactions of actual breeders if somebody request to them to STOP inbreeding on DCM and their ill champions ?
Nu problem....we will see in 10 years. They will implore 3 years long live genes :lol:
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Weinberge » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:18 am

Amandine wrote:Congrats to the Finnish Dobermann Club ! Hope the other clubs will follow

Like on IDC ..... :lol:
" Bergenbeer- The friend's know why "

I think breeders characters and actions always will reflect their dobermanns qualities.

Anyway, I always will remain a admirer of the Nordic breeding based via Doberhill on BORUNG the WARLOK and beautiful GISELLE V.D. VESTE OTZBERG . Unfortunatelly their purity was losted and sometime infected .
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Previous

Return to General dobermann issues