Gino Gomez Superstar

Unread postby bmgillespie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:59 am

Sonia Dobe wrote:What the importance if Gino is dead or alive? In any case he has a long lived dog. If alive, and I have no reason to doubt, it would be interesting to send a sample to Dr. Meurs to know if he carrying the defective gene for DCM. This really would be important for his large offspring.

Excellent idea :D I would pay for it.
bmgillespie
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby filimamont » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:27 am

BasKal wrote:From another forum

"01-28-2010, 05:44 PM #7 (permalink)
Kansadobe
Alpha

I spoke to Dr. Pezanno when I was at IDC this past September 2009. He told me that Gino was still alive and healthy, but was having a slight hip problem. He was 12 the first of September, so he is not yet the 13 that was stated. I have no reason to doubt the truthfulness of Dr. Pezzano and know of no reason why he would hide the fact if Gino is not alive. He has already lived a good longer then average life. I saw him in the flesh with my own eyes approximately 2 years ago. It was told at IDC that he sired a litter last year, a singleton brown male by AI."

Thanks. I replied to Kansadobe's post of Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:11 pm where he said ".... I asked Dr. Pezzano at IDC this year...."

Sorry for the post tripled by accident.
filimamont
Novice
Novice

Unread postby filimamont » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:37 am

Sonia Dobe wrote:What the importance if Gino is dead or alive? In any case he has a long lived dog. If alive, and I have no reason to doubt, it would be interesting to send a sample to Dr. Meurs to know if he carrying the defective gene for DCM. This really would be important for his large offspring.

A good idea.

I'm pleased that he lived long indeed (doesn't matter if 10 or 12 - all is long anyway!). Just wanted to say that unfortunately we cannot be sure if even a long lived dog cannot be a carrier (also if take into account the evaluation of the results of Dr Meurs DCM test).
filimamont
Novice
Novice

Unread postby js_finland » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:43 pm

Edit: Double post, see msg below...
Last edited by js_finland on Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
js_finland

Unread postby js_finland » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:51 pm

Sonia Dobe wrote:If alive, and I have no reason to doubt, it would be interesting to send a sample to Dr. Meurs to know if he carrying the defective gene for DCM. This really would be important for his large offspring.

Also (even unfrozen) semen of Gino G. could be used as well if that kind of stuff exists somewhere...
js_finland

Gino is only 50% of the genetics

Unread postby trinitydobes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm

It would be interesting to determine Gino Gomez's DCM Status - but unfortunately - the blame for heart health cannot and should not be laid 100% at this feet - the bitch also brings 50% of the genetics. So even if Gino is Negaitive (-/-) he couls still produce positive pups depending on the status of the females

It is true he is one of the most influential sires in europe - but he and his grand sire both lived long lives - he should not be denied this fact
trinitydobes

Re: Gino is only 50% of the genetics

Unread postby js_finland » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am

^ All of that makes sense. On the other hand wanting to know the status is not the same as preparing oneself for blaming a popular stud. Knowing the status actually helps later (after there are more results of the descendants) in determining also the status of brood bitches (i.e. breeding lines) a stud was used to. Usually there's frozen semen of an influential stud in safe somewhere but no test material - at least easily available (bones...) - from the bitches who have passed out.
js_finland

Previous

Return to General dobermann issues