In Search of Oldest Living Dobermann

Unread postby deiDohse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:15 am

"I understand it was about families, also I have more than dog I have 4. I will not worry myself if or when any of them past or what they past from. I do not even do that for myself I am more concerned about my daughter), I just enjoy them and life everyday I wake up and if they are there that makes life that much better but if they are not, I will get another and life goes on. :D on another note I do not beleive everything I read, especially on studies like these where there are way to many variables."

I'm sorry, but you say this yet you have produced at least one litter from these dogs? So I ask, how can you say that? While we can say these are "just dogs" the fact is that to many of their owners they are children, they are like your daughter. My biggest fear/worry for any litter is that they will die before their time, I agonize in my choices to try and limit this. We can never be sure a combination will be 100% healthy, but we, as breeders, need to do our absolute best to make the choices that are right. This doesn't mean throwing out a chance at a beauty, this doesn't mean throwing out a chance at a winner, but it does mean taking the time to make the right choices and maybe taking a little bit longer to get to our ideals. One step back, two steps forward.

Further, and this is an edit, we've just spent hundreds of dollars (probably over a thousand, not including other costs, just transpot/collection) to breed to a male that is half way across the world, who is nine, has multiple siblings alive, had multiple half siblings (on both sides) live to over 10, had a sire live to over 10, that was bred to a bitch with both parents over 10 and has half siblings over 10 as well. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to just breed and hope for the best. The whole litter could die of cardio, I HIGHLY doubt it, but at the end of the day I will sleep well knowing I did my best for their owners who love them, baby them, and will die a little when they pass at I hope an old age.

Jason Dohse
dei Dohse
www.deiDohse.net
deiDohse
Novice
Novice

Unread postby bmgillespie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:39 pm

deiDohse wrote:"I understand it was about families, also I have more than dog I have 4. I will not worry myself if or when any of them past or what they past from. I do not even do that for myself I am more concerned about my daughter), I just enjoy them and life everyday I wake up and if they are there that makes life that much better but if they are not, I will get another and life goes on. :D on another note I do not beleive everything I read, especially on studies like these where there are way to many variables."

I'm sorry, but you say this yet you have produced at least one litter from these dogs? So I ask, how can you say that? While we can say these are "just dogs" the fact is that to many of their owners they are children, they are like your daughter. My biggest fear/worry for any litter is that they will die before their time, I agonize in my choices to try and limit this. We can never be sure a combination will be 100% healthy, but we, as breeders, need to do our absolute best to make the choices that are right. This doesn't mean throwing out a chance at a beauty, this doesn't mean throwing out a chance at a winner, but it does mean taking the time to make the right choices and maybe taking a little bit longer to get to our ideals. One step back, two steps forward.

Further, and this is an edit, we've just spent hundreds of dollars (probably over a thousand, not including other costs, just transpot/collection) to breed to a male that is half way across the world, who is nine, has multiple siblings alive, had multiple half siblings (on both sides) live to over 10, had a sire live to over 10, that was bred to a bitch with both parents over 10 and has half siblings over 10 as well. As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to just breed and hope for the best. The whole litter could die of cardio, I HIGHLY doubt it, but at the end of the day I will sleep well knowing I did my best for their owners who love them, baby them, and will die a little when they pass at I hope an old age.

Jason Dohse
dei Dohse
www.deiDohse.net

I do not quite understand what you are trying to say, but my dogs are very well taken care of and have had every test availableand are clear on all of them, I do not even feed them dog food becuase I do not trust any of them. I also have invested thousands of dollars in them . I beleive that they will make excellent puppies becuase they compliment each other very well. I have not breeded them yet becuase I do not believe in puppies having puppies. When I think they are ready I will breed them. I have waited to make sure that they do not develop any illnesses or complications. I also put time and study into the bloodlines I chose. I and noone else can predict how long they will live. I am giving them the best chance I can and that is the best anyone can do. So, good luck with yours but do not try to lecture me about mine. I will still say the same thing they are pets and they are going to die like every other living thing on earth and no one knows when. At least they can be replaced.
bmgillespie
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby bolcanstern » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:22 pm

14 years old and at the end brothers and sisters age.

http://youtu.be/R2C4PMadIKI
bolcanstern

Unread postby Stormurinn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:39 am

Love that video, thanks for sharing
Stormurinn

Unread postby Andre Domingues » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 pm

My dobermann has 15 years old now.

But since last year he has develloped serious health problems, artrites and cardiac failure, we have to give him hearth 5 pills 2 times a day.

But he still moves, and barks and runs (very slowly and afterwards has to rest for a while)...

He still gards the family...
Andre Domingues

Unread postby Andre Domingues » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:57 pm

doble post
Andre Domingues

Re:

Unread postby bmgillespie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Andre Domingues wrote:My dobermann has 15 years old now.

But since last year he has develloped serious health problems, artrites and cardiac failure, we have to give him hearth 5 pills 2 times a day.

But he still moves, and barks and runs (very slowly and afterwards has to rest for a while)...

He still gards the family...

Congrats ! to the old boy, sorry to hear about health problems but they come with old age to all of us :(.
bmgillespie
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Previous

Return to General dobermann issues