Gino Gomez Superstar

Unread postby bmgillespie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:12 pm

I am like you Ronindobe a simple statement of Gino's status dead or alive and if he has pasted away then when. It is encouraging to know he may have had a litter in 2008 becuase that would have made him at least 10 and depends on when even 11 years old. As an owner with 3 dogs he is either the grandfather or great grandfather to this would be good news for me. I would love my dogs to live longer than 10 years but if I get 10 then I would be satisfied. I do not believe there will be Dobermanns living 15 years or more on average because that is rare for any large breed dog. I say large breed becuase our Dobermanns are getting larger and larger which I personally beleive is also contributing to thier early deaths but no one seems to want to buy into that. Humans are having the same problemsbecuase of their size so what makes our dogs any different. In fact i beleive it is more so in our dogs. I have noticed that the Dobermanns living the longest are from the working variety and if someone took the time to notice they are smaller than the so called so lines adhering closer to the original standard not the new show standard where dogs are winning titles being a little over the standard but if a dog is a little smaller than the standard they are disqualified. So, until we get back to the medium size dog that Dobermanns are supposed to be, i beleive we will continue to have health problems. Bulking a dog up for shows and then letting him go back to his normal wieght time and time again also cannot be healthy for the dog as it is not healthy for us. If you look at humans who keep gaining and losing wiehgt they have more problems than just keeping the wieght on becuase it it not good for their heart. I am not interested in having a 100 lb unhealthy Dobermann. I feed my dogs the same way all the time and let them excercise normally. Not trad mills or wieh=gths to bulk them up. This wieght things have gotten so bad that peoplerequest to have a Dobermann that is over a 100lbs, when did this become the standard? Looking at past pictures of what people considered to be great champions and producers of the past, I do not beleive any of them was over a 100lbs, so why now is that the standard? I ask anyone to give me a long lived Dobermann i have been hearing about that was over a 100lbs that was within the standard of the time.
bmgillespie
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby jotunheim » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:15 pm

bmgillespie wrote:I am like you Ronindobe a simple statement of Gino's status dead or alive and if he has pasted away then when. It is encouraging to know he may have had a litter in 2008.

Doug's last breeding was a AI - this doesn't confirm whether or not a male is alive.
Bitten Jönsson
jotunheim
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby BasKal » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:49 am

The fact is that he said that he met the dog just 3 years ago - and he already knew who was the dog, from the first mating - the live one.
BasKal
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Weinberge » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:51 am

bmgillespie wrote: that the Dobermanns living the longest are from the working variety

False. Not complettly true. But for sure (without generalisation) they are not from actual world fully show bloodlines .

So, until we get back to the medium size dog that Dobermanns are supposed to be, i beleive we will continue to have health problems

Not the big size destroy the race heath. The (tall) size is a quantitative genetic trait, (poli)genetically.
But the big tall characters(genes) in general are associated with other characters from " same family " . In this case MOLOSOIDAL traits and problems . Then "molosoidal" infusion on dobermann race explain the high incidance especial skeleton problems , stomachal torsions (and probable DCM) .

Sure, today the mixture is almost general. Unfortunately the breeders still don't understand that few rare lines represent the LAST chance to equlibrate geneticall the dobermann race.

For me is clear, all what happened today is because the ORIGINAL dobermann is changed/replaced .
In ROmanian language this replacement of a original thing is named 'surogat '.

bmgillespie wrote: original standard not the new show standard where dogs are winning titles being a little over the standard but if a dog is a little smaller than the standard they are disqualified

The satandard is only one.

bmgillespie wrote: if I get 10 then I would be satisfied................I do not believe there will be Dobermanns living 15 years or more on average because that is rare for any large breed dog. I say large breed becuase our Dobermanns are getting larger and larger

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Weinberge on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby bilclarie » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 am

Standard size dogs are few and far between in the show ring these days Pako Dako is one of the only correct sized dog's in the show ring I've seen for a long while and I get about a bit and see quite a few dog's, the rest may as well be called Doberdanes, where in the standard does it say 74 / 76cm to the withers and 45/50kilos in weight!!!!!!!!

Bilclarie
Bilclarie Dobermanns
www.bilclarie.com
bilclarie

Unread postby kansadobe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:11 pm

I have been at the American Doberman National (DPCA) and have not been on line recently. By the way, we won the 6-9 Month Black Male class in the National Futurity with a Gino grandson.

For the record ALL OF OUR BREEDINGS IN EUROPE HAVE BEEN LIVE MATINGS INCLUDING BOTH MATINGS TO GINO GOMEZ. I have been in this breed for over 35 years and I know that each of the multiple times I have seen Gino Gomez del Citone that it has been the same dog. I asked Dr. Pezzano at IDC this year if Gino was still alive. He told me yes, but was having hip and back issues. That is all I can report, but it certainly would not be unusual for a dog of that age. I understand everyone's speculation, but it would actually be very unusual for anyone to bring a 13 year old dog to a dog show just to show him off unless he is in exceptional health. Any of the 13 year old Dobermans I have been around are delicate enough that the owners do not stress them by taking them away from home unless it is a necessity to go to the Veterinarian. Yes, he is an important dog, but I do not think you will prove anything with your idle speculation on this forum.

The Best to you all.
Last edited by kansadobe on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug & Jacque Matson
Kansa Dobermans
"Seeking the Best From Around the World"
www.kansadobe.com
kansadobe

Unread postby kansadobe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Sorry. Duplicate Post.
Doug & Jacque Matson
Kansa Dobermans
"Seeking the Best From Around the World"
www.kansadobe.com
kansadobe

Unread postby BasKal » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Well...Thanks for the information Kansadobe...
BasKal
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby bmgillespie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:45 pm

kansadobe wrote:I have been at the American Doberman National (DPCA) and have not been on line recently. By the way, we won the 6-9 Month Black Male class in the National Futurity with a Gino grandson.

For the record ALL OF OUR BREEDINGS IN EUROPE HAVE BEEN LIVE MATINGS INCLUDING BOTH MATINGS TO GINO GOMEZ. I have been in this breed for over 35 years and I know that each of the multiple times I have seen Gino Gomez del Citone that it has been the same dog. I asked Dr. Pezzano at IDC this year if Gino was still alive. He told me yes, but was having hip and back issues. That is all I can report, but it certainly would not be unusual for a dog of that age. I understand everyone's speculation, but it would actually be very unusual for anyone to bring a 13 year old dog to a dog show just to show him off unless he is in exceptional health. Any of the 13 year old Dobermans I have been around are delicate enough that the owners do not stress them by taking them away from home unless it is a necessity to go to the Veterinarian. Yes, he is an important dog, but I do not think you will prove anything with your idle speculation on this forum.

The Best to you all.

This is good news, when was your last mating with Gino?
bmgillespie
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Ronindobe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Doug, thank you again (as before) for you continued effort to provide accurate information on this Gino subject. I rechurned your reports only because of the new posted inquiry. I suppose I could have just said to reread the earlier comments in the thread. I have no doubt what so ever that you correctly identify the dog. I also agree that it is logical that a dog of advanced years not be compromised by travel or contact with "strange" dogs.

Congratulations on your success at the DPCA Futurity!

What I don't understand is why Dr. Pezzano does not simply make a concise statement on the subject or take a photo with a time stamp, because of Gino's importance and this continued questioning. Is this so much to ask of the president of IDC or any breeder of influence? Those that aspire to a leadership position should lead. By example. Please put an end to this speculation, sir. It is not an unreasonable question to be asked by the Dobermann community, in fact it is perfectly natural under the circumstances.

8)
Ronindobe
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby filimamont » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:21 pm

kansadobe wrote:................ I asked Dr. Pezzano at IDC this year if Gino was still alive. He told me yes, but was having hip and back issues..............

Sorry, but are you sure you talked with Dr Pezzano at IDC THIS year? 2010? :?
I was informed by my Italians friends that Gino lived a long life definetely, but died a bit earlier (as we talked right after AIAD and Gino wasn't alive then as far as I understood)..... I have no any doubt abt their words as they are in a close contact with Dr Pezzano.

Anyway & unfortunately we cannot be sure that even a long-lived dobermann (but coming from DCM affected parents) is not a carrier of DCM.

I would be happy to get an opposite information indeed.
filimamont
Novice
Novice

Unread postby filimamont » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:21 pm

kansadobe wrote:................ I asked Dr. Pezzano at IDC this year if Gino was still alive. He told me yes, but was having hip and back issues..............

I was informed by my Italians friends that Gino lived a long life definetely, but died a bit earlier (as we talked right after AIAD and Gino wasn't alive then as far as I understood)..... I have no any doubt abt their words as they are in a close contact with Dr Pezzano.

Anyway & unfortunately we cannot be sure that even a long-lived dobermann (but coming from DCM affected parents) is not a carrier of DCM.

filimamont
Novice
Novice

Unread postby filimamont » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:22 pm

filimamont
Novice
Novice

Unread postby BasKal » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:07 pm

From another forum

"01-28-2010, 05:44 PM #7 (permalink)
Kansadobe
Alpha

I spoke to Dr. Pezanno when I was at IDC this past September 2009. He told me that Gino was still alive and healthy, but was having a slight hip problem. He was 12 the first of September, so he is not yet the 13 that was stated. I have no reason to doubt the truthfulness of Dr. Pezzano and know of no reason why he would hide the fact if Gino is not alive. He has already lived a good longer then average life. I saw him in the flesh with my own eyes approximately 2 years ago. It was told at IDC that he sired a litter last year, a singleton brown male by AI."
BasKal
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Sonia Dobe » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 am

What the importance if Gino is dead or alive? In any case he has a long lived dog. If alive, and I have no reason to doubt, it would be interesting to send a sample to Dr. Meurs to know if he carrying the defective gene for DCM. This really would be important for his large offspring.
Sonia Dobe

PreviousNext

Return to General dobermann issues