Longevitity & Feeding

Unread postby bmgillespie » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:35 pm

BasKal wrote:bmgillespie, there are plenty of males over 50kg without been oversized - for example Ferro. I think that you must travel in Europe.You must see the dogs yourself.

Hello Baskal,
I am sure there are, I am not saying that they look fat. I was saying in regards to most of the Dobermanns everyone talks about being long lived were not that large and I beleive that has some affect on how long they are living. Also, I plan to do just that very soon this year :D :D :D
bmgillespie
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Weinberge » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm

I think what time we respect the standard 69-72 cm all is OK.
Sure we can accept + or - 2 cm from ideal , but generally , we must to remaining in standard .
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby jotunheim » Tue May 18, 2010 1:38 am

This link could be of interest to those that have had long lived dogs:

http://www.dpca.org/Longevty/longevity/appLC.htm

applies to all, regardless which country you live in.
Bitten Jönsson
jotunheim
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Onion & Garlic toxicity

Unread postby Sonia Dobe » Wed May 19, 2010 9:30 am

I did not take a joke the toxicity of the onion and garlic (disulfide toxicity from Allium familly plants) but they induce Heinz-body haemolytic anemia. Anyone who is interested in knowing in detail this toxicity and toxic doses there is a good summary in: http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aspcapro.org%2Fmydocuments%2Fx-vettech_0801.pdf&rct=j&q=Onion+Breath+simmons&ei=jIvzS6SdL4mXsQbTq5GHDA&usg=AFQjCNG390xMeALgtN0LVZ18ODO1rO2-fQ
Otherwise, I would be very careful to feed with onions a dog with von Willebrand because it is shown in dogs that onions reduce drastically the platelet aggregation, especially raw onions.
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/131/10/2619
Sonia Dobe

Unread postby Ronindobe » Wed May 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Excellent information! Thank you very much for your recent entries. Well presented and solid thinking. Please PM me to exchange contact info, if acceptable.
:smilie33:
Ronindobe
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby bmgillespie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:14 pm

ins0mnia wrote:Valencia, thank you so much for the information, it means a lot to us! It confirms what we have always suspected and now we're just going to focus on making sure our dobie lives as healthy and as long as possible.

What can I say, we learned our lesson, it's a shame that many other dog owner have to go through this. No further comments either.

bmgillespie, you're very much welcomed and thank you so much for your kind words! If you have any questions about the diet please feel free to message me (I can send you my email and facebook contact as well). I'm 100% sure your dobies would love fresh meat, and if there need for a little push a small tip would be to melt some butter (not too much just a little) and put it on top of the food, it works :-)

What would be interesting is to do an extensive research (all breeders) in order to find the blood lines that produce the best longevitity, draw the conclusions based on that and consider it into the breeding program. I wonder how many breeders would "step up" to the play and participate in such a thing.

Hello Insomnia and Ronindobe,
I have been using your recipe for awhile now and it has produced excellent results, my dogs coats are excellent, I would compare them with the best in the world and would not come up short. Every thing has improved their weight, feet eyes even look brighter and their energy level is off the chart, even if they wear me out :D , I wll never use anything else. I have a new girl puppy and she has only been on it for a week and she looks a 100 times better than when I received her. I will post pictures of all of them as soon as I have time. I wish I would have posted before and after pictures even though they could never look as good as they do in person. Thanks again for the recipe. Hope the best for you and yours. Finally some information on here was actually useful :D
bmgillespie
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby ins0mnia » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 pm

That's wonderful news bmgillespie!! Looking forward to the photos! :)
ins0mnia

Previous

Return to General dobermann issues