DCM Genetic Mutation Identified by WSU in the USA

DCM Genetic Mutation Identified by WSU in the USA

Unread postby trinitydobes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Please crosspost this wherever possible- trying to get notice out in very short order to everyone wishing to attend Dr. Meurs' presentation Monday at the Doberman Pincher Club of America National show. :D

We are very pleased to announce that Dr. Kate Meurs of Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine has identified a genetic mutation responsible for causing cardiomyopathy in Dobermans. A reasonably priced test will be commercially available in about two weeks through the Veterinary Cardiac Genetics Laboratory at WSU. (http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsVCGL/)

Dr. Meurs is coming to the National to present her findings and answer questions. She is scheduled to speak on Monday, October 4th, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in the Emerald Room. We will have the room for Q & A as well until 12 noon. Please spread the word so that everyone who wants to be there is made aware of this development.

Dr. Meurs deserves many accolades for this long awaited accomplishment for our breed!

Kathy Davieds DVM

PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST
trinitydobes

I think they are going to video tape the presentation

Unread postby trinitydobes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm

my show list has mentioned something about trying to video tape the announcement and presentation and post on YouTube -

will keep you advised of any updates
trinitydobes

Unread postby Dobes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:56 pm

At last, no more guessing games. Now we find the truth. God bless you Dr. Kate Meurs.
Dobes
Novice
Novice

Unread postby Weinberge » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Yes, this years are the years of truth.

The discover of responsable gene for DCM will erase the FALSITY from dobermann breed. Unfortunately after imense sacrificess .

But this cleaning process will don't happen fast .
Will be a long cleaning process .
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Dobes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm

The truth shall prevail. No more lies. The breed now has a chance to be healthy.
Dobes
Novice
Novice

Unread postby BasKal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:45 pm

I hope it is true.
BasKal
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Ronindobe » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:58 pm

This will hopefully be a useful new tool. It is likely that other markers need to also be identified. But this is a tremendous step forward in risk assessment capibility. Good work Dr. Kate!

:smilie33:

8)
Ronindobe
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Weinberge » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:39 am

The genetical test is the unique mode to erase the DCM from breed.
Because , like every genetical problem, only genetical actions can solve . Or..this is a genetical test.

The discovery happened in America, then for us Europeans and especial Eastern-Europeans will be not easy to test our dogs.
I don't know the procedures but I hope this discovery will not remaining a monopol for a afar particular clinic from other continent .
Every dobermann lover must have the posibilities to test his own dog.

I hope this discovery will be a GIFT to dobermann breed and not a new affair !

This test must be assumed by entire dobermann community but I have doubts that will happen fast .

In my opinion , without DCM test , any dobermann reproduction right must be prohibited.

BUT , till all of us will have acces to make the test, it is obligatory this test to become first condition for awarding Champions title , especial IDC !!!
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby trinitydobes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:47 am

Valencia,

If this test is like the DNA test for boxers - then all breeders can participate and have their dogs tested. If it is like the DNA Cardio test for the boxer breed it samples can be by blood or by cheek swab.

with the swabs it should be a simple matter to order the test kits and then return them via mail to the lab for performance of the test.

Once Dr Meur makes her announcement on Monday at the Doberman Pinscher Club National show at 10 am - I will try and be sure to post details from her announcement. also the DPCA will surely make a video in parts that can be uploaded to you tube or a CD that we in the doberman community can buy.

There is to be a 2 hour question and answer period after her announcement and those questions and her answers are just as important, if not more so than the details of the test itself.

I will try and post links for you as I get them.
trinitydobes

Unread postby Weinberge » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:30 am

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsVCGL/doberman/test.aspx

Opinions ?
In my opinion the price is resonable.
Then.. our vets can collect the small blood sample and we can send the blood to laboratory via postal services ?

But...we need one important thing:
I think all the results must be public writed BY LABORATORY in a public database in a special site ! Otherwise can remaining a private affair.
I will support personal this necesity.

P.S. Tks to God ! This test comed exactly at time to help last clear lines !
Who don't pass the test must be OUT from breeding without negociation!

Deal Breeders ?
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Ronindobe » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 pm

The results of these test can not be made public without the consent of the owners. This is simply a standard legal issue. As much as I would like to have this information, it will remain a private issue as all results of medical testing in humans. There is a tremendously liability for the labs and health care personal due to the overpopulation of lawyers [ I wait for the test for ethics :lol: ] and legislation here regarding privacy of medical info and insurance companies.

Also the lab itself will be unaware of the origin of the sample, identified at that level only by a number, so as not to add bias to the test. Only at the notification will the code number be matched with the sender.

This information can be "volunteered", and placed in a database in a manner that lineage analysis can be done, either publicly or as geneologic research by private individuals, if a document or clause granting permission and a disclaimer of liability is signed by the owner of the dog. This would be a nice addition to any contract for this test.

Faceless information such as ratios of dogs found clean to carrying or even perhaps regional breakouts could possibly be published openly.

As with vWD, the breeders and purchasers will have to, by demand, create a climate that this information is expected as a norm.

Keep in mind that there are still a few questions as to what the results will mean. Mode of inheritance, expression, penetrance, other issues of linkage to other genes, etc. Does the presence of the mutant gene categorically mean a short lived dog? Are some safer to use than others as in the affected, carrier, clear potentials in vWd? Does rotely eliminating a dog with the gene, outside of focused discrete "clean" line programs, eventually create another bottleneck? I wonder if the breeders that now ignore the existence of the vWd test add this to their list of things they don't consider important?

Good to have another power tool in the toolbox.

8)
Ronindobe
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Weinberge » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Ronindobe wrote:The results of these test can not be made public without the consent of the owners. This is simply a standard legal issue. As much as I would like to have this information, it will remain a private issue as all results of medical testing in humans.

Please Ronindobe don't talk here stupid things. Or inform clear the NUMBER of that ipotethical law .
We discuss about dogs tests not about owners heart tests .OK ?

The owners health don't make part from our public interest.

Your suggestion is grave ! That mean if DCM test and if is positive , owners are free and protected to keep the PRIVATE SILANCE ?

:smilie11: :smilie11: :smilie11: :smilie11: :smilie11:
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Lorna » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:17 pm

The test can be done via cheek swabs as well as blood draw. This makes it easy for anyone in the world to use it. I hope all will. the price is very reasonable - cheaper than the VwD test.
The owners can choose to have the results public or not. Just like OFA currently does. So it is up to us to share the results of our tests with the dobermann community or not. To share the results of your dog, you simply check the box on the form when ordering the test kit. I have already ordered 6 tests, one for each of my dogs. It was easy. There is no excuse not to do the test if you want to know whether your dogs carry this gene or not.
Anyone can watch the presentation live on Monday via the DPCA website. They will have a live feed. They are also including the presentation about the stem cell procedure for DCM.
~Lorna
Incredible Dobermanns
Lorna
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Weinberge » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Lorna wrote:The owners can choose to have the results public or not.

You joke !
In this case no sense to make this test if the result is a PRIVAT one.

Exist few possible results :

1. Clear , then the owner have no reason to hide the test result .

2. Affected . In this case if breeder hide the result is a LIAR and a race destroyer.

3. Carrier (I do not know is this status exist). Idem affected .

How many breeders publish on their advertising sites the real reasons of their dogs death ? Not numerouses !

P.S. Already Devils avocades appeared ?
COWARDICE !! Now don't exist courage to play yours ugly creation ?
How long do you think the lies will cover dobermann breed ?

I finish any intervention here. All of you are free to hide how much you like till will be covered by lies one another!
That I wish !

P.S.Sunteti de o nesimtire extrema daca va permiteti sa spuneti ca rezultatul ...e privat. !
Faceti ce vreti ca tot nu scapati ! Credeti doar ca scapati dar va sapati groapa mai adinca !
Va las sa va acoperiti cu minciuni unul pe altul.
Din pacate sufera suflete nevinovate. Punct.
Last edited by Weinberge on Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Weinberge
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Unread postby Lorna » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Valencia - please forgive my not understanding your post - language barrier. If you are asking me will I make my dogs results public? The answer is absolutely.
My dogs are heavily linebred on some of the more popular dogs so knowing their results will hopefully help others as well as my own breeding program once we all understand what the results will actually mean.
~Lorna
Incredible Dobermanns
Lorna
Esteemed member
Esteemed member

Next

Return to General dobermann issues